Marijuana and hallucinogens are the only illicit drugs that have shown recent increases in the number of past year users, according to data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). An estimated 29.2 million U.S. residents ages 12 and older reported using marijuana in the past year in 2010, compared to 25.8 million in 2008. The number of past year hallucinogen users also increased (from 3.7 million in 2008 to 4.5 million in 2010), primarily due to an increase in the number of ecstasy users. In contrast, the number of nonmedical users of prescription drugs has not increased significantly from year to year since 2006, and the number of cocaine users has decreased (from 5.3 million in 2008 to 4.5 million in
2010). The increases in the number of marijuana and ecstasy users are consistent with recent increases in the number of new users of these drugs (see CESAR FAX, Volume 20, Issue 36).
*Nonmedical Use of Prescription Drugs includes the nonmedical use of pain relievers, tranquilizers, stimulants, or sedatives and does not include over-the-counter drugs.
NOTE: The NSDUH (previously named the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse) has been conducted since 1971.
However, the survey underwent several methodological improvements in 2002 that have affected prevalence estimates.
As a result, the 2002 through 2010 estimates are not comparable with estimates from 2001 and earlier surveys.
SOURCE: Adapted by CESAR from Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Results from the 2010
National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Detailed Tables, 2011
- Nonmedical Use of Prescription Pain Relievers and Tranquilizers More Prevalent in U.S. Than Use of All Types of Illicit Drugs Except Marijuana (addictionts.com)
- Young adults appear to be the group showing the greatest increase in drug use (addictionts.com)
- Number of First Time Users of Marijuana Increasing (addictionts.com)
Incoming search terms:
- estimated number of marijuana users in the united states
- estimated number of marijuana users in the us 2011
- estimated number of marijuana users in united states 2011
- number of drug users in america